Friday, February 26, 2010

Shoot for Joy!

If anyone has a family member or a friend that has a chronic illness, than I have a little tidbit of information that will help ease their pain. Well, it may not physically ease their pain but it should mentally give them a break from it.

My dad, being the super romantic that he is bought my mom a Nerf gun for Valentine's Day. Now, I'm not talking about a little gun, this thing is huge. I couldn't even work the thing the first time I tried. My mom, being the optimistic she is, loved it. She had been asking for one since she and dad got back from Atlanta visiting my brother. My brother and his wife have one, and mom couldn't put it down.

I have watched her laugh, smile, sneak up on us, and pick on us more now than she has in a long time. Unfortunately we only have one Nerf gun in the house, and can't defend ourselves. She even shoots Rowe. Yes, he loves it and wants more except when he is sleeping.

This is not only for people who are cooped up in their houses due to illness, it also works for the incurable pessimist. You are bound to catch them smiling at some point when shooting this weapon.

I'm no doctor or therapist, but I can attest that I just feel joyful when aiming those Nerf darts and my husband. It just releases so much stress. Happy shooting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love this! I think I'll get my mom one, too! She has Fibro-myalgia and a few other health problems which keep her shut-in most of the time. I think I'll keep one in our truck too! Should be great for when Ted & I are driving each other mad!!!