Monday, February 2, 2009

The End of Deer Season

Hello All,

The time has come for my broken heart to mend and my mourning to stop. Those God awful woods have spit Lee out in order for a short furlough home. Although he will physically return, his heart, soul, and mind, will remain in those traitorous woods waiting on him until he is swallowed back up in the fall. He grasps his camouflage close to his heart and reminisces until he drifts off to sleep each night. He stares blankly at the numerous bodiless deer hanging on the wall as if they are going to speak to him. I have even heard him talking to those dead animal heads. Each time he calls me dear, I see the deep sadness in his eyes, as if I am not the deer he truly wants. He still drives off of the road looking at the fields, just hoping for a glimpse of the joy he once knew standing out there waiting for him. I know our house will never satisfy him. His dream home is a small shooting house situated just right on the north power line. Oh, if only I had horns and white tail, then my husband could love me. Can anyone else relate?

written by: Celeste Gillis

2 comments:

3-D said...

I am so with you on that one girl!!At least he doesn't Turkey hunt, or does he?? Mine will be in the woods for that season as well!! If you are ever in the Jackson area, let me know I would love to catch up!!!

Jason and Leigha said...

Oh Celeste, I was just cracking up when I was reading this. You are too funny. You are a very descriptive writer. I could just envision everything your wrote. :)