Friday, June 19, 2009

Does my mouth make my BUT look too big?

I have been guilty of saying, "I really like hanging out with (insert name), BUT she complains way too much." or "(Insert Name) is a lot fun, BUT she is such a gossip." God has shown me that I have just as many "BUTs" that could be said about me. For instance, "Celeste is so positive most of the time, BUT can really be moody at other times." or "Celeste makes me laugh, BUT talks too much!" or "Celeste is a good friend when she is around, BUT she is such a hermit." Have you ever been guilty of making these kind of statements before? Please quit looking at my BUT now!

I have learned that all people, even Christians have BUTs, but I am choosing to not even let those BUTs invade my mind, and focus on what it is I love about my friends and family. I have enough BUTs in my own life to work on to be worrying about anyone else's.
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

I don't know about you, but I am glad that there are no perfect people in my life. I would definitely struggle with major self esteem issues if there were. Christ is the standard I should use to measure myself, not others.

Matthew 7:1-3 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
I guess what I am trying to say is let's quit checking out everyone else's BUT and worry about our own. What's making your BUT look big?

4 comments:

Ashley Perrigin said...

I am very much guilty of doing the very same thing. i hope that reading your post will make me more aware of when i am doing it so i can stop doing it.

Mississippi Girl said...

Thank you for this post. I needed that! I am all too often guilty of the "BUT" syndrome!

Addie Talley, Photographer said...

So are you saying Im not perfect???

Ha Ha ha..... anything "but" perfect here.... "but" you know what, Celeste.... I love you!

Anonymous said...

I am like Addie--I was sure you thought I was perfect "BUT" I guess not! Love ya! Erika