Thursday, July 31, 2008

Give a Man a Deer, He'll Eat for a Winter, Teach a Man to Hunt, and You'll Never See Him Again!

All of you hunting widows can completely relate. As fall is approaching, I can’t help but look with dread into the future of our household. It is during this time, we become single mothers and lonely wives. Our husbands take their final steps into the woods and are not seen again until the following spring. It is a time that I wish over and over again that I had horns, so my husband would take notice of me, but the only thing that gets mounted then are large bucks. It is true that camouflage makes a man disappear. You women know that ache and constant worry – When he calls me dear, is he really thinking of me? You fear for your lives when he is driving by a field and the road in front of him no longer exists. These husbands have supervision. They can see a deer a mile away in a field grown up with weeds, yet he can’t notice the hair cut and color you just had done. I pray during these times that my arm doesn’t fall off, because he would not notice, nor would he drive to the hospital without going two miles an hour past each field. Thank the Lord he is not an ambulance driver. If only there was a shopping mall that I could step into, and not return until next spring. Then all would be right with the world.
Can I get an amen!

written by: Celeste Gillis

7 comments:

holly and morgan said...

I think that is the best post ever!!!! I totally and 100% agree with you! good luck with school next week love you and miss you!!!

Kristy Phillips said...

Celeste, I love to keep up with you and your sweet family! We're settled in Monterey, CA, but miss everyone back in Columbus so much! You all are welcome anytime! We miss and love you!
Kristy Phillips

Paul, Jennifer, and Taylor said...

Love it!!! Paul isn't a hunter but I can totally understand !!! Love you and love the new blog!!

Addie Talley, Photographer said...

Celeste, you are too cute....

I am so glad I dont have to deal with this.... Im with you on the maill thing though

The Murphy's said...

Thank you Lord for letting me marry a city boy! :)

Angie said...

Girl...You KNOW I'm with you 110%!! I can VERY WELL RELATE as you WELL know! haha...Couldn't have said it better myself! :) Glad you finally have your blog to where I can write a reply to you! Rowe man is getting so big! He's already over a 1/2 year old!!!!! Man time flies! He's Precious!!

The Holliman Family said...

Oh my gosh Celeste!!! I could not agree more with this post!!