Thursday, September 4, 2008

Not So Casual Words

Many times, we open our mouths and speak, with little to no thought to what we are about to say. We let words fly, good and bad, with no caution. I call these words, casual words, but as a teacher, no words are casual. We think our students are not listening, but they are. Throughout the confusion of the day, we forget that although we have hundreds of students, they only have a handful of teachers. They remember what we say much better than we remember what they say.
We think our friends don't really care how we sound or our tone of voice, but they do. I consider myself a good listener. I rarely forget anything that anyone tells me, although I do forget to do things without my "Blessed To Do" list. I call it a "Blessed To Do" List, because even when I don't always feel like completing it, I am blessed to have the health and ability to complete those tasks.
As I continue daily to claim all the freedoms God has given me, I think I need to carefully scrutinize the words I am about to use on a daily basis. I want to make sure I choose the best ones for my family, friends, and students. I have talked so much since school has started that I have been hoarse for the past month.
One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Ephesians 4:29. It says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." My challenge this week is to no longer use casual words, but chosen ones that will lift you up and benefit those who listen.

No comments: