Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Weekly Challenge #4 - Stop Complaining and Shine like the Stars.

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life." Philippians 2:14-16a
This is a topic that I would love to share with specific people in my life that seem to find a reason to complain about everything. BUT, this is not about correcting others, it is about setting some goals in my life so that I am not spinning my wheels and will be what God has intended me to be in order to reach others for him and share a little love and wisdom along the way. Wow, that was a long sentence. Anyway, Paul tells us here to stop complaining and SHINE like stars. Stars a beautiful and blemish free. We too are to be blameless and pure, even in our speech. God doesn't request us to quit complaining, it is a command. Complaining is sin. OUCH!!!
When I complain, I am basically telling God, "I could have done it better." I am trying to come to a place where I no longer complain about my circumstances, but to bring my requests to God prayerfully and joyfully. If it is in my power to change something, then I'll I change it. If it is not in my power to change, how is complaining really going to help??? Complaining is a lot like worry: We tend to waste a lot of time doing it, but it makes absolutely no difference in the outcomes of our circumstances. Basically, both are pointless.
So my challenge this week is to hold my tongue when I am tempted to complain, and to pray immediately about those circumstances. I am also challenging myself to continue to find something positive in every circumstance and person each day. If God says that all things will work together for good (Romans 8:28), why can't I just take him at His word? Besides, who wouldn't want to shine like a star?!