Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Surprise Party for Lee

Let me just start off by saying thank you to everyone that shared Saturday night with us. Many of you traveled a long distance to be there. Others of you took time out of your busy schedules to join us. Lee was immediately overwhelmed with shock, joy, and gratitude. He is still on cloud 100 today. He hates when people go out of there way for him, but he is still thanking me for the party. The first thing he said when we got into our car to leave the party was, "Let's go home and start on thank you notes." I told him I wanted to write a few, he insisted that he writes them and I can write a not on them too if I want. I think this was Lee's first big birthday party.
I can't believe he did not suspect anything. I just knew he had figured out I would throw him a 30th birthday party. He even told me a couple of weeks ago that he knew I was up to something. He was thinking it must be a special gift or something. He had absolutely NO CLUE!!!! His facial expression was priceless.
Thank you GABE for coming and playing and singing at Lee's party. You were the best entertainment we could have wanted! Everyone loved listening to you! I am still waiting on your C.D. Jenny, we missed you sis. I hope to see you soon!
Now, the story of how I got him to the party: I told Lee that we were meeting my family at Harvey's for dinner since my brother was in town around 6:45. I had my brother call me when we were about to leave to tell me that Harvey's was packed so they were at Cafe on Main waiting on us. Lee was upset that we were running behind, which I did on purpose. He was worried about the waitress only having one table that night because we were so late. He was worried about my family having to wait on us. I was doing my best not to laugh at him.
When we drove up, Lee commented that his aunt and uncle were there. Then he saw his cousin's vehicle, and then his dad's. I just said, "Well, it would have been nice if they had invited us to their little family dinner." As we were walking to the door, he noticed another friend's truck. I just played that one off too. You would have thought he would have caught on by now. The restaurant is underground so we had to go down a flight of stairs. As we reached the bottom of the stairs, sixty to seventy friends and family members were standing up and yelled, "SURPRISE!" Then they began singing Happy Birthday. Lee just had this look of confusion on his face and he looked at me like, "what is going on?" I told him it was his birthday party and he just grinned so big and couldn't believe it. He kissed me on my head and thanked me. He looked at me during dinner and said that he could never top something like this. I am not sure who had more fun, me watching him so happy or him being so happy.
Family he has not seen in so long was there to celebrate with us. Friends that live out of town came just for the party. He was so excited to see everyone!!!
The only bad thing about the night is that we do not have one picture together from that night. If anyone that was there has any pictures from the party, please email them to me. We only have a few. In fact, the video has a glare only on Lee's face when we entered the party. The one thing we wanted recorded was the only thing that didn't show up.
Thank you all for making this birthday so special for Lee and me!!!

4 comments:

Julee said...

What a coincidence....I threw Justin a "surpise" party for his
30th at Harvey's in 2002 and all our friends from our SS class at Fairview were able to join us....that seems like SO long ago, and it was! But I can still taste those cheese sticks with ranch dressing...mmmmm!

So glad Lee had a happy birthday!

Matt and Blair said...

sounds like everything was wonderful. So sorry we were not able to make it:( I hope Lee hade the best 30th ever:)

The Crawfords said...

Happy Birthday to Lee! I'm not 30 yet, but it's JUST around the corner.

Lauren McDill said...

Happy belated B-day to Lee Lee! 30 years... where has the time gone? I'm afraid that I am also pushing the BIG 30(end of the month)! Your wife and little one are just beautiful!
-Lauren