Thursday, September 11, 2008

Weekly Challenge #3: To Procrastinate or Not to Procrastinate??? I'll decide tomorrow.

Well, this week has presented many "weekly challenge" opportunities, but I am only going to add one this week. This week's challenge is to stop procrastinating. Sometimes, I think I just procrastinate on making a decision to procrastinate. Don't get me wrong, I plan ahead better than anyone else I know, but not in the little things. Honestly, I already have what costume Rowe and Missy will wear for Halloween picked out, and as creepy as it may be, I have my funeral planned too. However, the little things add up on my "blessed to do" list, and there is no better feeling than throwing a list away once it is completed. (Erika, you know exactly what I mean!) So, I am going to compile my list at school, the one in my purse, and the one at home together and start getting things marked off. God tells us to make the most of everyday, and that is what I plan to do. I challenge myself and you loyal readers (who rarely leave comments) to add some fun to your "to do lists." Schedule alone time with your spouse. Schedule a silly game or cook together night with your child. We should write these planned moments on our calendars where our family can see them. This holds us accountable, and it is a way to start teaching our children early to always make time for the people in their lives. I want Rowe to see silly and important scheduled events and fun on our refrigerator calendar as he grows up, in order for him to see our time with each other and with him is a priority.
Also before I even begin to complete a to do list, I will pray that God helps me to prioritize, not sweat the small stuff, and to glorify Him throughout this day He has given to me. I will also ask myself the following questions at the end of each day, "Was I a more productive person today than the day before?" and "Was my "blessed to do list" all about me or about furthering the Lord's kingdom?"
So to give you a glimpse of today's "blessed to do list," I'll list a few things:

  1. go to the bank
  2. clean floors
  3. clean bedroom
  4. register for online Blackboard training at school
  5. email Becca
  6. order Halloween costumes for Rowe and Missy (I said I knew what they would be, I didn't say I had ordered them yet.)
  7. give Missy her flea medicine
  8. leave Lee a sweet note on his bathroom mirror
  9. read Rowe his Bible story and work on teaching him his animals (never too early to start!)
  10. Send Justin Caldwell a birthday email from Lee, Rowe, and I

3 comments:

Addie Talley, Photographer said...

Oh, this is so not me.... and I dont think it ever could be.... lists overwhelm me and make me not want to do anything - I guess as long as I cant see how much I actually have to do, then I can believe that Im ok.... :)

Jason and Leigha said...

Celeste,
Oh, I love lists! I like how you call them "blessed to do lists". I have really been enjoying your weekly challenges. Thank you so much for sharing them. This is a great challenge. So many times I say that I am going to do something sweet or fun for Jason, but always end up forgetting what I said. :) I need to write them down on my to do list. Great idea! I hope everything is going well for you. You have such a precious family. We need to get together sometime when I come to Columbus or if you ever come back to Olive Branch. Have a great week.

Kerul said...

You seem to be putting a lot of pressure on yourself to make every day more productive than the day before.

Lists are good, until they become instruments of torture. What if you structured things to support you in getting the important things done, with rewards and consequences, and not beating yourself up when life intervened?

Not all procrastination (or productivity, for that matter) is created equal. Procrastinate productively so that you can maximize your potential to make a positive contribution in the world.
www.Procrastivity.com