Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Weekly Challenge #5 - Leave Impressions Not Dents

Prov. 27:17 "Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another."

I was thinking about how much time I actually spend living outside of my little world. I tend to get self-centered about what all I have to do, what I want to do, or about my own family, that I forget about all the many needs around me. I believe the question of God's will is not "What is God's Will for ME?", but is "How does God want to use me in accomplishing His will?" We get so focused on our right here and right now that we forget about the bigger picture.
I was thinking about the beautiful mold that Lee gave me for Mothers' Day. It had a sweet impression of Rowe's hand prints and Missy's paw-prints. Those precious little impressions meant the world to me. I was also thinking about my bad habit of not paying attention to what I am doing, and somehow my car has a new, tiny, little dent pretty regularly. Both the mold impression and dents left their marks. Whenever we come into contact with others we leave a mark. With words of encouragement, a positive attitude, and a listening ear we can leave lasting impressions. On the other hand, when we brush people off because we are too busy or too proud to talk to them we leave dents. My challenge is to make an effort everyday to leave a positive impression in those around me. I will take time to listen, send notes of encouragement, and look for opportunities to meet the needs of others. I want to challenge you to do the same, and I also want us to let those that have left positive impressions in our lives know what they mean to us.
I had a fifth grade teacher that left a deeper impression on me than any other person in my life outside of my family. She was an example of living and speaking God's wisdom and kindness. She encouraged me to pursue writing and creativity. She made many of my insecurities as an extremely hyper child melt away. So, Mrs. Dunaway, if you are reading this, Thank you.

No comments: