Saturday, October 4, 2008

Weekly Challenge #6 - Slow Down and See the Roses

I was sitting at my desk on Wednesday thinking about taking time to smell the roses, for that matter, even see the roses. Would a thorn have to jump out and bite before I ever even noticed them? I made a decision then to slow down! As I drove into my carport on Wednesday afternoon after school, there was a beautiful rose bush with about five fully bloomed roses. The roses had apparently bloomed earlier in the week, and this was the first time I noticed them.
I have been convicted lately about taking more time to slow down and enjoy each day with my family. I am not contradicting my previous challenge about not procrastinating and being more productive. Being productive one day may mean something completely different the next. It all goes back to priorities.
I had the best day Thursday with Rowe. I stayed home with him because he was sick, and we had a blast cuddling and playing when he was up to it. That was a very productive day. Yesterday, I went home from school with the stomach virus, so that was definitely not a productive day, but that is okay. I am feeling better now, thankfully. I can not remember ever having the stomach virus before, so I was miserable!!! I didn’t even have morning sickness when I was pregnant.
We fill our schedules with so many “good” things for ourselves and our families, but the best thing for us all is just being together. I want Rowe to be involved in activities as he grows up, but I don’t want him to think he has to stay busy all the time. I want him to value his time at home with the family. I want him to know it is okay to relax, and it is not the same as being lazy.
Believe it or not, Lee is actually trying to slow down some too (except hunting of course). He is trying to be home more and learn to relax! He is the hardest working man I have ever met. He gives 110% to everything he does – work and play. That is part of what makes him such a wonderful husband and dad. I don’t have to tell him what needs to be done in the house or yard, because he has it done before I even noticed it needed to be done. I will keep you updated on his attempt to slow down as well as mine. Any fun suggestions on fun, cheap, and relaxing stay at home dates, I am all ears!!!

So here it goes, I challenge myself and you to spend more evenings at home together as a family this week than evenings apart. Let me know your thoughts.

I love hearing all different views and opinions. These challenges are custom made for my life where I am right now. I don't believe everyone is the same and needs the same challenges and goals. I would love to know the rest of the world's goals. Leave me a comment telling me your goals.

2 comments:

The Crawfords said...

Tanny and I are tryng to slow down, too! Our weekends are ridiculously full and we're trying to do better! It's all going too fast!

The Murphy's said...

We play cards or board games. Its fun quality time and free! : )