Friday, October 17, 2008

Weekly Challenge #8 - The Great Depression or Great Dependency

This morning as I was thinking about the current economic state of our nation and world, I thought about what all I learned about the Great Depression in school. It made me sad that job layoffs, budget cuts, and roller coaster of uncertainty had reared its ugly head again so close to home. We have family members that are unsure if they will still have a job at the end of year. We aren't even sure how to set our budget with so many prices on the rise. (I am encouraged but confused when reading all of the different Money Saving Moms blogs. I am an idiot when it comes to coupons and getting the best deals on things. Any and all help is appreciated. I just need to know how to get started.)

Then, while listening to the sprinkles of rain dropping on my window, it was as if God whispered, "This is no Great Depression, but a Great Dependency." Wow, what little faith I have. What foolish questions I have asked that He has already answered. "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:19.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[?

"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:25-34


Who can argue with that?

What does the testing of my faith show? I am depending on God or myself?

James 1:2-4
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (NASB)

My challenge this week is to acknowledge my complete Dependency on God, and accept that His will is better than my own plans. Let me know if you can relate or if I am the only one feeling a little too independent at times.

6 comments:

The Murphy's said...

Wow, I needed that!! Thanks!

donna manning said...

You know I'm with you. Wonderful post.
Love you,
Donna

Blair's Bits said...

I was looking thru the different blogs in Columbus and came across your powerful message. WOW!!!

Bo, Tori, and Brayden said...

cute halloween pic! :)

Blair's Bits said...

It's such a small world. Thank You, its funny how unexpected miracles can make your life so much brighter...Please pray for Will & Christina. He is a good kid but he has made some bad choices and is trying to straighten his life up.

The Kinards said...

i enjoyed every minute of reading that. i believe you are exactly right! i am learning to trust in God in several things right now and man- ye of little faith- that is so me- so much of the time and i think- do you not realize how many times he has already brought you through? i am in the process of writing a blog and i want you to read it when i get done. just now made a page. ill let ya know when i finish it:) thanks for being you sweets!!!